Towenbowie sits on the northside of the river almond at NN 8363 3248.
|Copyright: Crown copyright|
|1865 Map of Towenbowie. (crown)|
It was reported in 1845 that a small chapel formerly stood at Tomenbowie, stating that ".. It is now in ruins but the burial ground is in occasional use". (New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845). New evidence now suggests that there is no knowledge of this chapel and no evidence of it on the ground. The burial ground at NN 8363 3248, which is too small to contain the chapel and is no longer in use. There are a few grave stones standing and visible with the last known burial being that of Donald Stalker in November, 1880 and that of his son, Duncan in October, 1876.
Although the site is no longer used, this does suggest that, although the glen was cleared in the 1830's, there were some inhabitants left, probably new sheep farming tennants who would have been buried here. Further investigation, will help to establish details.
|Approaching from the East|
|Looking west across the site|
|Looking East towards the site|